Overview of THINK
The THINK Scholars Program is an educational outreach initiative that promotes science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by supporting and funding projects developed by high school students. The program is run by a team of undergraduate students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and sponsored by technology companies and educational organizations.
The THINK team will provide funding and extensive support to selected student projects. Some of the key benefits include:
- Funding: Based on the budgets and timelines proposed by the students, THINK will provide financial support of up to $1,000 for the purchase any materials or equipment needed to complete the project, provide that the students remain in good standing with the THINK team.
- Mentorship: Each student will be paired with an MIT student or professor who will act as a mentor through the duration of the project. Mentors will be readily accessible to provide technical advice, moral support, or any other form of assistance to aid students in the implementation of their projects.
- Networking: Students will be connected with industry professionals and academic leaders in their field for project consultations, including prominent MIT faculty, alumni, or corporate leaders. These connections can even be beneficial beyond the scope of THINK.
- Experience: Students will learn how to execute a project from start to finish, gaining valuable technical expertise, soft skills, and confidence that will help them in any career path.
2017 THINK Scholars Program
For the 2017 program, we will be selecting up to six Finalists and invite them to MIT. After the trip, these finalists will receive mentorship and funding for their projects. After completion of the projects, three of the Finalists will be notified to be Winners and receive additional scholarships.
- All expenses paid trip to MIT to attend XFair (MIT's spring tech symposium)
- Personalized tours of MIT laboratories
- Networking opportunities with MIT professors and XFair companies
- Up to $1000 to build their projects
- Project mentorship from MIT students
- Scholarship money ($500 for Grand Prize Winner, $300 for Second Place, $200 for Third Place)
- Additional project mentorship from MIT students
We will also select several Honorable Mentions to recognize outstanding proposals submitted to the program that were not selected as finalists.
THINK 2017 Timeline
|Application Deadline||January 1, 2017|
|Award Decisions||Mid Jan. 2017|
|Winners Trip to MIT||Feb. 2017|
|Expected Completion of Projects||May 2017|